Monday, February 26, 2007

30 years of life


Oh February, where did you go?

I always look forward to February; the almond and cherry blossoms (see photo to right from my backyard), my birthday (30!), my anniversary (6!) and Valentines Day all rolled up into one month of fun.

And 2007 was no different, yet entirely different. Thirty years of life hit me in different ways throughout the month. At times happy (birthday party! drinking!) at times melancholy (wrinkles! love handles!) I feel like I am still absorbing my thirty-ness, still taking in the meaning of it. Now, as we approach March I have come to peace with being thirty, but I haven't come to peace with getting older and eventually dying.

I guess it is only appropriate to have an existential crisis at this point.

I don't know why, but saying that makes me smile...

Vince and I are getting away for the weekend, and I am really looking forward to it. Two days up in Bodega Bay in Marin. Hiking at Point Reyes; watching storms come in on the Pacific; getting our boots muddy. Will we see any banana slugs? I do not know, but I will be sure to report back.

I should also mention that I passed the PE exam, finally! I am officially a registered civil engineer in the State of CA. I can be sued! I can build sewers! You can look up my creds here on the State website. It's legit. :)

4 comments:

Estelle said...

Hey Tammy,
Congratulations on everything that happened to you in February! Lots of great news (including being 30!).
I guess existential crises are good in a way: they make us think and evolve (isn't it what milestones are for?)... Hope you'll feel merrier in March.
Enjoy your weekend by the ocean! Sounds awesome!

Cécile Lepage said...

Happy Birthday to you !
We saw Rohini and Aswath this week-end who told us they had briefly attended the partying... Wish we'd been there.
Hope to see you soon anyway.
As for the "being 30 blues"... Cheer up ! You've officially joined the WWC (wise women club ?)..
Take care,
Cécile

marshlady said...

It is daunting, but I promise I won't give the cliche "Oh that's nothing..." But no one looks back and wants to me younger than 30. Seriously.

-Carol

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,

happy birthday to youuuuuuu, happy birthday to youuuuu Tammy ...
Hum ... I turned thirty last year, it was a lot of fun but life was still the same the day after, don't worry.
Congratulations for you exam too, it's great !
Cheers,
Anne-Sophie.